Nowadays torrents help us download software, music, movies, whatever that we want to keep at hand. Don't regard torrents as illegal: they are very convenient to download large files that are either free or already paid for. Finding and downloading torrents requires special installed software, so we tested the most popular torrent clients for PC and compiled the list of the best, fastest, and most secure options available. Read the article and choose the best torrent downloader.
FDM accelerates all types of large file downloads (video, software, torrents). It's a smart and fast internet download manager for Windows and macOS that is provided for free. FDM supports magnet links and features the Snail mode which you can use to maintain the connection while downloading files when you skype, for example.
- Possibility to download a group of links at once
- Proxy support
- File integrity checker
- Reported issues with Firefox browser compatibility
This torrent software is a cross-platform client for the BitTorrent protocol that is released under the GNU GPL, version 2. It is a multi-platform BitTorrent client with a nice user interface as well as a Web UI for remote control and an integrated search engine. qBittorent is free of charge and works on Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- Streams media while downloading
- Super seeding – efficient way of distributing a file
- IP filtering
- Issues with large torrent numbers
- Randow freezes
- Errors while downloading require program reinstallation
Vuze (previously Azureus) is a free BitTorrent client used to transfer files via the BitTorrent protocol. It is written in Java, and uses the Azureus Engine. In addition to downloading data linked to .torrent files, it allows users to view, publish and share original DVD and HD quality video content. It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Get Vuze Plus for $29.90 with extended functionality.
- Huge library of plugins
- Stay encrypted and anonymous
- Prioritize torrents
- Not friendly with VPN when the connection is lost
- Consumes lots of system resources
- Bundled adware within download
uTorrent is a proprietary adware BitTorrent client owned and developed by BitTorrent, Inc. with over 150 million users. It contains basic features, simple UI and ads and works on Windows, Linux, macOS, and Android. Purchase the feature-rich Pro version for $19.95 to get rid of annoying ads.
- Built-in anti-virus protection
- Scheduler option
- Bandwidth selector (you can adjust download speed)
- Lots of ads
- Security vulnerabilities
- No suppoty for third-party plugins
Deluge is a lightweight, free, cross-platform BitTorrent client. It aims to be a lightweight, secure, and feature-rich client and works on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Message Stream Encryption/Protocol Encryption to improve privacy
- Lack of magnet data preloading
- Random UI issues with file deleting
- Poor user interface
There are many more free BitTorrent clients for Windows at the market, and this list comprises our favourite ones. Finally, we'd like to name the winners of this race, which have been at this scene for a quite a long time and are still preferred by many PC users - uTorrent and qBittorrent.
What client is your favourite? What features are the most important for you in torrent downloading? Please share you opinions in comments.